Sunday, May 07, 2006

Wouldn't YOU want a room like this?



As we count down the final months before baby #2 makes her arrival, we find ourselves in the throes of home improvement projects. Thankfully, the above picture is NOT actually a room in our house, but it might as well be given the lack of preparedness we currently face.

It's funny (and not in a ha-ha sort of funny) how we both seem to be mired in this fog of denial right now. I just can't make myself think about what it will be like to have two monkeys in the house. Maybe it's my own misguided attempt at self-preservation or maintaining sanity. I just can't begin to imagine what our days will look like.

The closest I came to actually picturing it occured today as I was carrying the little monkey down the stairs (for what felt like the gazillionth time). When monkey #2 (monkette? Monkita?) makes her appearance, am I going to be carrying them both around at the same time?? What if I have to tend to her upstairs but the monkey is downstairs? Do I leave him, unattended, run upstairs, bring her down, or bring him up? Or do I just install monkey #2 in one of those wrap around baby slings and WEAR her on me in some type of primative third world solidarity statement?

My heart rate is increasing at the moment, and I find myself feeling a little faint, so I will change the subject completely.

The good news -

I was recently informed that my blood glucose level was abnormally high, thus triggering a panic attack at the thought that I may have somehow developed gestational diabetes. Gestational diabetes?? Diabetes??? A follow up test last week ruled that out, and I have been given a clean bill of health. Now I just have to explain the black and blue bruises along the veins in my arms that make me look like I've been pounding heroin.

Sure, those are from blood tests...All four of them. Ok, so no gestational diabetes. Just really bad luck getting a sloppy phlebotomist who saw me as her personal pin cushion. Too bad the heroin chic look is about 10 years way over. Oh wait, given the bump, I couldn't have pulled that off anyway. Never mind.

In celebration of my non-diabetic self, I indulged in some ice cream cake at the home of a fellow preggo, also due this summer. Thanks N! Bring on the chocolate!

ps - I'm just kidding. Sort of. But I'm also kind of thinking this is probably the last time I'm going to be pregnant, so I might as well indulge a little. Right? Right?
Post a Comment