Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year!



Miss Mina loves herself some sweet potatoes. Maybe a little too much.



Determined to start the new year off on the right foot, she vows to excersaucer every day.



As motivation, she works out to the tune of "this little piggy" on finger puppets ... a subtle visual reminder of what happens when we let carbs get the best of us.

With the monkey pictures out of the way (the only reason most people stop by this site), I'll belatedly respond to the tag from my brother.

5 things you may not know about me...

1. My favorite movie:
Growing up, my favorite movie was "My Fair Lady," with Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison. As a child, I had no idea who either of these people were, that they were mega stars of the screen. I just loved the idea of the extreme makeover that Audrey Hepburn, a/k/a Eliza Doolittle, underwent. This was a makeover before makeovers became the stuff of reality television. Before Dr. 90210, before "The Swan," or "What not to Wear." This movie showed how it was done. I loved the dresses, I loved the parties, the accent, and I loved that Eliza swore her head off at the races. When she walked down the steps in that evening gown, with her hair piled high, and dripping in diamonds, I was awed. For the life of me though, I couldn't figure out why she didn't marry Freddy. He seemed a lot cuter than Henry Higgins.

2. Music:
The best concert I have ever seen live was Jane's Addiction at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC, October 1998. It was a little Cirque Du Soleil, a little Midsummer Night's Dream, a little bit of everything crazy that made their music so amazing once upon a time. The best single performance of a song though, which I've heard live was Prince, at the Meadowlands, in 2004 He sang "Nothing Compares to You," with accoustic guitar. I always knew he wrote this song, which was made famous by Sinead O'Conner, but I never actually heard his version of it. There, under a single spotlight, he sang that song and his voice soared in the stillness of that huge venue. It was a refreshing reminder of what a real singer and a musician can sound like.

3. My quirks:
I take immense pleasure in the proper folding and arranging of clothing. I hate doing laundry, but I love folding. This harks back to the days when I was briefly employed by the Gap. There, in between spending my entire paycheck on merchandise, I learned the proper way to fold t-shirts, sweaters, sweats and jeans. Although I don't have a folding board of my own, I can approximate the precise right angles that should result from a neat sweater fold to this day. I also like organzing closets. Since moving to the great Garden State, I have become the proud owner of my own walk in closet. It's like I've died and gone to heaven.

4. Take this job and....
My vocational history is long and varied. Currently, I am a "lawyer on child rearing sabbatical," which is the most glamorous way to describe the reality of my stay-at-home and take care of the monkeys lifestyle. In the past, I have also worked for a judge, sold fries with that at McDonald's, researched miscellaneous laws at the Attorney General's Office, made cotton candy, baby-sat, folded clothes (see above), cooked short order on a grill, modeled clothing at the mall, and fought in court to help people keep a roof over their heads. All of this has prepared me in no way whatsoever for the task of raising my children. But, thankfully, I like to read. A lot. What I don't know, I look up.

5. Around the world..
While in law school, I spent a semester living and studying in the Netherlands. With Holland as home base, I travelled as far as my rail pass would take me. It was an exciting six months of exploring, and something I look back on fondly. Travelling all over a lot of fun, and I'm glad I did the backpack-and-train thing while I was still young enough to endure it. The one city I never got a chance to see, which I still regret, was London. One of my goals is to see it before I turn 40.

And that, is that. To continue the thread, I tag Chic, Kristen, and Maleeha. Go crazy!
Post a Comment