Monday, March 12, 2007

Outsourcing child care..

It's been one of those kind of weeks. You know the kind? The kind that makes you just want to crawl back into bed, pull the blankets up, and try to drown out the sound of the monkey's baby monitors chattering away at 6:00 in the morning.

But, if there's one thing I've learned as a mother, it's this - you can never shut those monitors off. Even when you turn the sound down all the way (yes, I have), I still hear them. I hear those little monkey voices in my head. I can hear them almost anywhere in the house, no matter what noise-deafening activity I am engaged in. That's what happens when you become a mom. Those squeaky little voices burrow into your heart and make a permanent home there.

So, I listen to the monkey music that starts up at all hours of the day and night. It's ok. We're used to it. We haven't slept properly in over two years. But, the lack of sleep is hitting us hard at the moment since the majority of us in the house have been struck down hard with a mysterious stomach bug. I think I was the first to succumb, late Thursday. Little monkey followed in rapt succession, and Monkey, Sr. is the most recent victim. The three of us are in various stages of misery.

The only seemingly healthy ones in the house are ...

Miss Mina





And Oscar.

My only explanation is that the amount of doggie cooties the two of them share together via Oscar's daily kisses has provided Miss Mina with an immune system superior to the rest of us. I don't know how she can tolerate that doggie breath of his though.

So, consistent with our usual pattern of illness, we've gone through the requisite stages of vomitting and nuclear diapers. I've been scrubbing everything in sight from dawn to dusk while trying to entertain a whine-y and tired toddler. Monkey Sr., had my back until he was waylaid. But he's trying, to his credit. Ashen-faced and nauseous, he lays there on the floor of the playroom supervising Miss Mina's activities, hoping to catch a moment of rest. Ha!



Prior to getting sick himself, Little Monkey tried to help out. Here he tests the bottle to make sure it's ok for his baby sister.



He even demonstrates the proper way to latch on. Open wide, now. Like this!




Ok, there we go. Put 'em to work early. That's my motto.
Post a Comment