Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Art imitates life? Life imitates art?



We are big readers in this house. Books are our friends, and we can never have too many. Like me, Monkey loves them. His favorites change over time, and sometimes he will put one aside in favor of another, only to return to it again. One such example, is "Curious George Makes Pancakes."

This was a favorite, some months back, as evidenced by the well worn pages, and splatters of food marking key passages. Monkey has his own annotation system. George had been forgotten for some time, because we discovered the rhyming fun and teamwork spirit of "I can't said the Ant."

Recently though, Monkey specifically asked for George and his pancake adventures. Relieved that I didn't have to sit through yet another rendition of the ant and his kitchen adventures, I gleefully turned to George. It's amazing how a change of scenery works to brighten one's spirits.



Part of the fun of having kids is allowing myself to see the world through their eyes. The most mundane things become a grand adventure. George had a fun time making pancakes, maybe my Monkey would too. And who knows, maybe he'd actually eat some too?



But first, we have to make sure we have the right equipment.



We found the perfect recipe, which conveniently helped me use up a nice amount of my leftover buttermilk and blueberries. We poured the batter onto the griddle in little, round circles ... just like George.



And even dusted them with powdered sugar to make them pretty. So far, so good. Monkey helped by stirring the batter, folding in the blueberries, and scooping just enough into a 1/4 cup for me to pour onto the griddle.



But then, we got to the table. And the fantasy was over.



oh well.
Post a Comment