Monday, July 02, 2007

A carnival comes to town ...

our town..that is. The monkeys got a chance to amuse themselves at the carnival this weekend, and as usual, it was an adventure of sorts. Do all small towns have events like this? I know mine did when I was a kid; and it was something we looked forward to every year. As a kid, it was fun for the rides, and games, and junk food. As we got older, it became the place to hang out and be seen on those summer nights. Yeah, life in a small town ...

The monkeys are thankfully still so young we go on most of the rides with them.



Like the carousel.



Miss Mina waits her turn.



The helicopter ride was a big hit, although Monkey Sr. looks a little concerned.



This year, the Little Monkey went on a ride all by himself! What I did not get a picture of, is the look of anxiety and stress on my face as I watched the fire truck go round and round at an alarmingly fast speed. He did just fine though.



And then, in one of my more stupid parenting moments, I decided it would be a fun idea to take the monkey on the giant super-slide. Ever been on one of these? It involves climbing a lot of stairs, up along a rickety, steep set of metal steps that are thrown together like construction scaffolding. Then, you spread this potato sack thing on the slide, plop down and descend at ungodly speeds down a cascading series of hills.

I really don't know what I was thinking, but I kept telling the monkey not to look down as I hiked up those steps. It was really windy too, and I almost had a panic attack as I realized how high it really was. Of course, Monkey decided to be all independent all of a sudden, and demanded to climb the steps himself.

I ignored his perfectly enunciated sentence completely, lifted him up and clutched on to him for dear life. We made it down faster than I thought possible. He had a smile on his face at the end of it, and demanded to do it again.

I ignored him.



The thought of it all, makes Miss Mina grimace in terror.



The baby train was more her style.



What better way to complete a successful ride than with chocolate ice cream?



Chocolate-ice cream-goatees are the look this season in kiddie land.



I think they had fun.



And the ice cream was really good too.
Post a Comment