Thursday, April 17, 2008

What's gonna work? Teamwork!



Today, we had an opportunity to participate in a focus group for Little Airplane Productions. Jordan got a sneak peek at an episode of the "Wonder Pets" currently in the works. It included a feedback session at the end of the story where the kids were asked questions about the show.



Monkey doubles over in laughter at the thought of someone wanting his opinion on anything.



Never having done this sort of thing before, I had no idea what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by how organized everything was and the kid friendliness of the office.

I'm still a little bewildered by Jordan's behavior at the screening. He started out great, began watching the story boards of the show, and then somehow drifted off. He doesn't watch the show too often at home, but when it comes to tv, he's pretty excited anytime it gets turned on. A friend suggested his distraction came from the lollipop another mom brought along. That might have explained why he was shouting "I want a lollipop too!" during the storytime session.

It might also explain why he came up to me and in desperation resorted to using his best manners:

"May I have a lollipop please?" He asked nicely.

I had none to give him; and I didn't think it was the greatest idea at the time, so I tried to encourage him to get back into the story circle and listen to the reader. He wasn't so interested.

He also had no interest in answering any questions about the story after. I was a little discouraged. I knew he hadn't been paying attention at all during the show, but in my own mind, I was already picturing him years from now in school, not paying attention, not willing to sit still for all the standardized tests coming his way, scoring poorly, not getting into college and facing a lifetime of unemployment.



Yes, I know. I worry too much.

After speaking with our friend who coordinated the group, I felt better. She explained that Jordan's reaction was part of what they looked for too. Some stories just didn't appeal to kids. And knowing what elements of a story worked and didn't work mattered as well. She's sweet. I think she was just trying to make me feel better.



The biggest reason I did this with Jordan was because I thought it would be a fun opportunity for just the two of us to hang out down at the South Street Seaport. The company's office is located in the heart of the Seaport, and it made for a fun adventure.

While watching the water, Jordan and I talked about what we saw.



The sights on the water kept him interested for a long time.



I also pointed out one of my favorite landmarks.



It was a perfect day for watching the sunshine reflect off the water.



Later that evening, after dinner, he finally got his lollipop. We also got a chance to look at a different type of reflection.



This photo-op began when I told Jordan his lollipop had turned his tongue blue. Naturally, he wanted to see for himself.



Miss Mina compares the effects of a rootbeer lollipop. Not so much color on this one.



A rare display of sibling affection.



And a hug too...jeesh. What's in those lollipops?



I'd rather not think about it. Jeff picked up some at Trader Joe's which claim to be organic and sugar free, but naturally, my kids prefer the 99 cent bags of the dum-dum pops with all the weird flavors. Jordan refers to the "mystery flavor" pop (the one with the question mark paper) as the mystery-mouseketool lollipop. If you're blessed with kids who love the show like mine do, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
Post a Comment