Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

We took the monkeys to their first-ever Memorial Day parade.



What would normally be a five minute walk into the town center took a half hour, in part, to accommodate the variety of transportation we sported - a push tricycle for Jordan and a wagon for Miss Mina .... since a simple stroller is not enough.

After finding just the right shady spot, we settled in to wait for the parade to begin.



We lounged on the grass.



And snacked.



And snacked some more.



I had to shoo the monkeys away from my iced coffee. They had no clue what it was, only that it had a bright red plastic straw coming out of it. Surely that must mean it was something good. I'm pretty lax about the food stuff these days, but even I have to draw the line at straight up caffeine. That thing had me wired all day. There was no way I was going to let them have even a taste of it.



The big grassy field was awash in clover blossoms, which the monkeys found irresistible.



"Here mommy," they said, as they collected each one and handed them to me. I photographed them for posterity.



The quest for a decent picture of me with the kids continues.



I did, however, manage to get a picture of the cop who pulled Jeff over the other day. Here's his car.



Once the parade finally started, the Monkey was quite taken with the marching bands and people in uniform. We identified all the instruments in the band, and talked about the men and women who marched by. Here he is trying to wave to them. I'm not quite sure where the salute is coming from, but I thought it was fitting for the occasion.

Happy Memorial Day! Hope everyone had a relaxing weekend. Hurray, it's officially Summer!!!
Post a Comment