Sunday, June 29, 2008

Come back!!

Recently, we had a visit from our very good friends, the Perkins. Former New Yorkers, they call themselves Floridians these days. They're spending some time in the North East this week, and we were lucky to be on their itinerary. They came by on Thursday and left early this morning. During that time, the two monkeys I call my children behaved in a manner completely unrecognizable to me.

"Whose kids are these?" I kept asking Jeff.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love my kids fiercely, and for all my complaining, deep down, I know they are good kids. We stumble through most days with a mix of good natured play, sweet moments, tantrums, silliness, etc.

But something happened to them when the Perkins walked through our door. From the minute Grace rang the bell to the minute they left, Jordan and Mina were well- behaved, sweet, cuddly, affectionate, and sharing. They gave hugs and kisses, they threw themselves into Brandon and Kristen's' arms with shouts of "I love you!" They held hands, and shared licks of ice cream cones (unheard of, I tell you.) They flirted shamelessly with Kristen and Brandon, embraced Grace like a long lost sibling, and chatted from morning to bedtime.

I have no idea what got into them. But all I have to say is that I am going to start house hunting and commence an all out campaign to get these people to move to NJ. If their mere presence gets my kids to act like this, then I'm all for closer proximity. Hell, move in with us. I'll redo the basement for you myself!




Like me, the Little Monkey is not known for being a morning person. It generally takes him a full breakfast and cup of milk before he warms up enough to grunt a half-hearted "good morning" in my direction.

But, when he saw Brandon, a/k/a "Buddy" on Friday morning, he was chipper as a spring chicken.



It was a real pleasure seeing Grace's happy face at the breakfast table in the morning. Like Jordan, she shares a love of bread products with lots of butter.



Buddy was enlisted into daddy daycare duty while the rest of us ate. He handled three kids like a pro in the playroom.

On the subject of playrooms, I discovered that my blog entry on my playroom wound up linked on this site. For those of you with a fondness for organizing, there are some great ideas here, for playrooms and otherwise.



Kristen is no slouch either. She and Jordan share a special relationship. "Hi Gorgeous," he whispers, as he climbs into her arms. At the park on Friday, they had a cuddle.



Here, Jordan tries to sneak into their family; and Kristen's expression is worth a thousand words.


Aren't these two the cutest?



A big Perkins' group hug.



The one thing I can say, is that my monkeys are easy to please. A mound of dirt and sand is all they need.



Meanwhile, on the other side of the park, Grace scaled new heights on the monkey bars



Jordan pauses for a moment to flash me that rarely-seen, "I'm so cute and innocent" look.



Mina did her share of exploring on the playground.

On Saturday, we revisited a very cute sprinkler playground in the middle of Central Park. It's been a whole year since we were there.

Back Then:





And Now:















Post a Comment