Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!



World's Greatest Dad.

If I do say so myself, I think our father's day this year was particularly nice. As the kids get old enough to appreciate "special days," it's more fun preparing for them and celebrating as a family.



This year, Jordan came home from school with several hand-crafted Father's Day items, including gifts and cards. Mina's gift to her dad needed my help to put together, but her intentions were there.

Monkey Sr. has been inundated at work this month, and this has meant long days, and even weekends in the office. But that hasn't stopped him from pitching in with the kids. Saturday was a busy morning! Miss Mina had her first ever big-girl haircut.



While I consoled her, Monkey Sr. supervised Jordan's "cut-cut, buzz-buzz" as we call them. Jordan's come a LONG way. He sat in the chair, took direction, and did not protest at all.



That certainly makes life easier. No more screaming fits. Jeff does a good job instructing the stylist.



Here, Jordan waits patiently for Miss Mina to finish up, contenting himself with a lolli-pop for all his hard work.

Although I felt bad for Jeff that he had to go into work Saturday night, I was secretly relieved, as it gave me a chance to do the prep work for the big Father's Day morning celebration.

The plan: let him sleep in for once, get the monkeys up, give them breakfast, get them dressed, give Jordan his meds, and serve Monkey Sr. a special breakfast just for him. Since he almost never eats breakfast during the week, I thought this would be a nice gesture (not as nice as the extra sleep, but close.) On the menu - creme brulee french toast, courtesy of a lovely recipe by Sweetnicks. The dish had to be prepared to sit overnight in the fridge, so I did that first. There is something ridiculously joyful about the smell of brown sugar, butter and cinnamon melting in the saucepan. Instant happy mood.



Then, I got to crafting - preparing the breakfast window gallery of daddy-kid pictures. They were supposed to hang like a banner, but that didn't quite work out as planned. I wound up taping them up to the glass. The effect was not quite what I had in mind, but the kids got a kick out of seeing pictures of daddy at breakfast.

The next morning, I woke up way too early, and snuck downstairs to do some last minute prep, bake the french toast and get the coffee going. Miss Mina awoke before her brother, and once main dish was ready, she was my guinea pig.



She took a bite..



paused...



and then had another. The finished product isn't pretty here, as I had to cut it into bite sized morsels for her, but it's a delicious recipe. Perhaps you might consider it as a side dish to a bowl of Rice Krispies and three full apricots, as Mina did.

The real test lay ahead. If Jordan could be convinced to try it, I would be content.



And it was a winner!!! I am not exaggerating when I say that the little monkey is a creature of habit. For the past two years, his preferred breakfast of choice has been pancakes. Every morning. Without fail. His father prepares them, diligently, each day. And each day, the little monkey inhales them, jumps down from the table with nary a word of gratitude and rushes off.

I was pleasantly surprised that the french toast passed muster with him. But honestly, what's there to object too? Dessert for breakfast, come on!

There will come a day, I'm sure, when the two monkeys will be entrusted to take matters completely into their own hands for Father's Day and other like celebrations. In the meantime, I'm very happy to do my part in making the day a special one for Monkey Sr.


















He deserves it.

Happy Father's Day everyone!
Post a Comment