Thursday, July 31, 2008

Couch Potatoes



I don't really advocate parking your kids in front of the tv during the day. Especially when the weather's nice and everyone's healthy, and there's a brand new swingset that needs breaking in. But there comes a time in every evening when things need to get done without interruption. And at that critical moment, I thank God for Noggin - now on 24 hours a day!!

I'm slightly ashamed to say, it's not often I see the kids as spell bound as this.



Or maybe it's more accurate to say they look zombified.



I don't care. They're quiet for the twenty minutes I need before the mad rush of bathtime, pajamas, teeth-brushing, and bedtime stories.



Look ma! No hitting! No tears! No time-outs!!

I'm sort of just kidding here. I really try to limit their tv watching because I think most of it is so mindless that it's depressing. Plus, to their credit, they really do seem to find ways of entertaining themselves - whether it's pulling books off the shelf to "read" or devising new games of their own with cars, magnets, or stuffed animals. They're getting very creative.

And then I think about the amount of television I watched when I was a kid. It was A LOT. I mean, A LOT. As I sat down to write this post, I recalled my own childhood, when Saturday morning cartoons were still the thing I looked forward to. As we got older, there was the after school tv programming. And on weekends, it was like a no-holds bar free for all with the tv. I distinctly remember watching shows like Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Dallas, Miami Vice, etc. Was I really in elementary school or am I losing track of time completely? I balanced that with healthy doses of Little House on the Prairie and the Smurfs.

I think I turned out ok. Right? Right????
Post a Comment