Monday, November 24, 2008

Now, I can cross one thing off the list.



After dropping Jordan off at school, Miss Mina and I paid a visit to the local turkey farm. She marched right into the store, and plopped herself down on the floor - much to the delight of the other customers paying for their birds.

All I could think about was the herd of people, poultry workers, and miscellaneous sorts who regularly walked across those floors daily.

Argh.

The farm itself was run very efficiently, and the bird I pre-ordered came neatly packaged and ready to go. I've passed by this place a dozen times on the way to a friend's house. We were in and out of there in ten minutes.

The plan is to to brine it Wednesday, and prepare it Thursday using a recipe I've been eyeing for awhile. It's a tamarind glazed turkey breast with cornbread jalepeno stuffing, courtesy of my favorite Indian chef - Suvir Saran. It took two attempts at various Indian and Pakistani stores (and lots of looks. I knew how to say tamarind, but I couldn't remember the right word for paste, and I didn't want chutney) to find the right kind of tamarind, but I'm hoping it will be worth it.



The menu:

Appetizer:
Goat cheese dip with sour cream and spiced pepitas. Chips

Entree and sides:
Tamarind glazed turkey with cornbread - jalepeno stuffing
Ricotta stuffed shells
Creamed spinach with parsnips (this is a new one from Food & Wine magazine. It looked good)
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes
Cranberry sauce 2 ways
Corn on the cob (I'm hoping the kids will eat this)
Plain cornbread muffins (yawn - again, thinking of the kids)

Dessert:
Pumpkin pie
Chocolate dream pie
Post a Comment