Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Rock Star!



This weekend, we took the kids to the Bergen Performing Art Center to test their concert going skills at a kid friendly show.

The Dirty Sock Fun Time Band was performing. Although we weren't familiar with them, I had heard good things about this venue and was hoping it would provide us with something different to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Kids music has come a long way since the days I was humming "Puff the Magic Dragon." There's a lot of good stuff out there, if you're willing to suspend your disbelief for a minute. My first introduction to it was when Jordan began kiddie gym class, and I heard a catchy little tune blasting across the radio. I discovered it was Laurie Berkner, who has gone on to become a gazillionaire. Clearly someone is buying this stuff.

We got to the show. It was set up in a smaller room with the stage set right on the floor. Kids were invited to sit right up next to the band and dance to their hearts content.



Miss Mina did not need a second invitation.

In fact, at various points, I actually had to pull her off stage, off the dancer (Mina wanted her big, sparkly ruby ring). I gotta give credit to the dancer. She worked those kids up into a frenzy. And the music was pretty good too. I found myself doing the old head nod a few times.



This is Miss Mina shakin' what her mama gave her.



Jordan's got a different personality than Bean, but he loves music too. In school, I always get glowing reports about his behavior during music class, and he loves playing with toy instruments at home. However, he's not a fan of loud music, so I wasn't sure how he would do at this show.



Overall, he did great. He made it almost an hour, he danced, he watched, he joined the band for a musical story time.





But, he reached his threshold at the hour mark. I think the temperature got to him. That was my one complaint about the venue - the small size and the crowd of people was tough. I suppose that's true of any concert though. Oh well. I was happy he lasted as long as he did. I think we got our money's worth out of it.
Post a Comment