Sunday, March 01, 2009

March...



It comes in like a lion, and goes out like a lamb.

After almost two weeks, Jordan seems to be back to his relatively normal self. He's been fever free for four days now, and has regained his appetite. He still seems to be a little more tired than usual, but he's recovering nicely. I wish I could be confident that he'd be going to school tomorrow, but we're awaiting a major storm this evening - which is just my luck. Both Mina and Jordan will probably be spending yet another day home tomorrow.

Thanks, Nature.

I'd be lying if I said the past couple of weeks were easy. They were a challenge. They were the kind of challenge that makes you question whether you really have it in you to be a parent. No one thinks about weeks like these when they plan on having kids. I know I didn't. When I pictured having kids, I never imagined waking up countless times to administer medication, wipe fevering heads, struggle to find something to feed them, keep them calm when they needed yet another dose of antibiotics or another doctor visit. Weeks like these test you.

Jordan hasn't been sick like this in a long time. It was demoralizing to see him so worn out. It also upset me that it happened over vacation, and that we got our dear friends sick at the same time.

It's never easy handling sick kids, particularly when you're battling the same bug yourself. Moms and dads don't get sick days. We don't get to curl up in bed and sleep it off. What did lift my spirits through this spell was the help of dear friends and family. A big thanks to the Perkins who nursed us in Florida, who fixed Jordan smoothies when all other nourishment failed, and who bravely dealt with our nastly little viruses upon our departure. I'm so sorry we got you sick (particularly Grace!), and I wish this vacation had turned out differently. Let's hope we got everything out of our system in time for the big trip in September.

My dad was also a huge help while we were in Florida. Travelling with a sick kid sucks. Travelling with a sick kid with a heart transplant really sucks. You worry doubly over every slight symptom because it could mean something even worse than it is. It was nice having a doctor on call 24 hours a day to run questions by, and who also managed to prescribe some medicines for me when the coughing got to be unbearable.

After we got home, Jordan remained ill for most of this week. That was rough. I don't want to embarrass her too much, but the kindness of a dear friend helped make this week bearable. Nataliya - mom to David and Julia (and thus busy enough in her own right), brought over bags full of things to keep us fed and entertained. I'm not kidding - she made dinner, brought wine, filled two kid gift bags with books, puzzle games, crayons, arts and crafts projects, stickers, toys... I've kept both kids entertained all week with her handiwork. The dinner and wine I pretty much polished off in one night because I'm kind of a pig like that. Thanks N. You made my week.

And there's no way I could have made it through this week without Monkey Sr. He dealt with Jordan during some of the roughest spells - taking him to the hospital twice, holding his hand during blood draws, speaking to Jordan's cardiology team. He even took an extra day off of work on Monday when it was clear Jordan was really hurting. No one asked him to do any of this. He did it because he's an amazing father. He steps up to the plate without a second thought.

Sometimes I used to wonder why it was that Jordan was born with a broken heart. I used to wonder why such a horrible thing could have happened to him, and what we had "done to deserve this."

Long ago, I came to the conclusion that Jordan was born the way he was because we were uniquely capable of being the parents he would need to survive. We got him because he needed us. In the same way, he got us because we needed him. He reminds us of the love that fills our lives in so many divergent ways. He reminds us to be grateful for our blessings. He completes us.

Perfectly.

Ok, enough sap. Miss Mina wants some attention too:



Post a Comment