Sunday, May 31, 2009

Two Days.

During the winter, it sometimes seemed as though we had nothing to do on the weekends. Now that summer's almost here, it feels like we've done a full 180. Weekends have been really busy of late - whether it's entertaining, visiting friends, home improvement projects, etc. It's a good thing the kids wake up at 6:00 in the morning. There's so much we have to cram into each day!

This weekend was no exception. On Saturday, after a busy morning of yard sales, painting the ceiling, and playing in the backyard, we headed over to our friends' house for a BBQ. Jeff got a chance to catch up with some friends from school; and I got to marvel at these two sets of blue eyes.





Aren't they something? Twins. People always ask me whether Jordan and Mina are twins - whenever I drag them both out with me. They do have that look about them - but I'll tell you. It's one thing to look like twins; and it's another thing to actually have a real set of your own.



Dining solo...



And dining ala twin. What's particularly amazing, is that our hosts were able to pull off a phenomenal meal for all of us while juggling these two.



As usual, our kids were ever-helpful. "Mommy, these are baby toys!" Jordan exclaimed in frustration. A few minutes later, he seemed to change his mind. He also managed to find the loudest toy in the house to race across the floors.



Jordan was so busy with those toys, he conveniently forgot to come to the table for dinner. That is, until dessert made its appearance.

"No dinner, no dessert," boy.

It's become his personal mantra. I should get it printed on a t-shirt. For myself. I could wear it everyday with my hoodie and sweat pants. And every time Jordan or Mina pulled one of their, "I'm not eating, I just want dessert" games, I could just point to my chest. I could reduce my carbon footprint by expending less personal energy shouting at the table.



"Claire's cupcakes." And they're weight watcher friendly too! I felt good knowing that, as I put away the wine, cheese, hotdog and salad right before I dove into one. It was some solace, anyway.



Yep, there it is. The cheese. It gets me every time.



Jordan pondering at the table.



His engineering feats of greatness.



Mina managed to eat enough dinner to warrant a brownie.

Thanks Tom and Chris for welcoming us into your home, feeding us so splendidly, and keeping the kids entertained!



The next day, we headed into the city for a birthday party. But first, we were stalled on the lower level of the GW where we were held hostage to the "Caravan of Harleys. " The police stopped traffic to let these guys go en masse. And they just kept coming.



and coming..



and coming.





Jeff lost patience and took a detour. This is an ocean liner docked in Red Hook. It still amazes to see this.



At the party, I tried in vain to get a decent picture of me and the kids. It's a never ending masochistic game I like to play any time we go out together somewhere. It takes such effort to shower and get dressed in something other than a hoodie and sweats.. or a hoodie and shorts... or a hoodie and cargo pants. So, if I'm gonna wear a dress damn it, I want a picture.



Instead, I got this.




If anyone can figure out what happened next, I will personally invite you over for dinner and cook your favorite meal. You have 24 hours to come up with an answer.




This is what delirium looks like.



Yeah, her too.



Once upon a time, he'd be running in the opposite direction, shouting, "All Done!" These days, he's all about the music, man.



The birthday boy was diggin her too.



The hat - not so much.



Me want cake! Me too, but I restrained myself. One day of gluttony I can live with. Not two. Two is where you have to draw the line.
Post a Comment