Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Commencing the celebrations - round one.

Mina turned three today. She's gone from this:



to this:



There have been other changes as well - such as her relationship with her older brother. It started off like this:



And now, it's more like this:









Mina's handling three quite well, I'd say. She's been readying herself for this moment for the last six months or so... about the same time Jordan turned four. Witnessing his birthday unfolding sent her into some sort of existential tail spin, and she's been eager to age as soon as possible.

Today was the day. We plan on having a celebratory birthday party this weekend, but we couldn't let the day go by without making just a teeny bit of a fuss.



We visited Mina at school today (it's also conveniently her last day of school), and brought some treats to share with the class. Mina reacted with her usual stoicism.

Her brother was thrilled to ditch his classes and join in celebrating with the young 'uns.





I'm slightly embarrassed that I did not have the time to do an elaborate baking extravaganza, as I've been preoccupied with planning, baking and shopping for the party this weekend.

So, I copped out and brought in ice cream instead.



I daresay, Mina did not seem to mind.







In three years, Mina has become a force in her own right. She's a teeny little thing, with an oversize personality. Sometimes, I just have to stare at her and wonder how so much human got crammed into such an itty-bitty body. She can be sweet, girlish, silly, possessive, demanding, loving, cuddly, brilliant, and immature, all in the course of 24 hours.



And that's just part of the reason why we love her so.

I honestly couldn't imagine what our family would be like without her. She just completes us. When she smiles at me in the morning, I feel like the sun has woken me up. And when she laughs and holds my hand, I feel as though all is right in the world.



Happy Birthday Princess.
Post a Comment