Monday, July 12, 2010

Staycation 2010.

I'm home this week while our nanny takes her vacation. Day one was yesterday, and I remember now why I went back to work. It's easier.

Plus side - it was nice that I did not have to scramble to get ready in the morning to make the bus for work. It was nice getting a run in at 6 am instead of at lunchtime or at 7:30 at night. It was nice taking a long leisurely shower.

Not so much fun - doing laundry, grocery shopping, scrubbing the bathroom, vacuuming, and taking the dog to the vet. I mean, I do all these things normally. But there's something about being at home that makes me feel like I need to be doing something all the time to feel useful. I remember feeling this way when I was home full time with the kids. If I wasn't busy all the time, I felt like I might as well be sitting on the couch watching soap operas and eating chocolate covered cherries. This is a perfect example of women being much harder on themselves than anyone else. We never give ourselves a break.

I digress. Really not fun - getting slammed with vet bill and then being told the dog needs hernia surgery. Hernia surgery!?!? Because he's been doing a lot of heavy lifting these days??

REALLY, REALLY fun... taking the kids to gymnastics. This was the first time I've ever gotten to do that since signing Jordan up for it in September. And I promised Mina this summer she'd get to go to. I was very excited to take her to her first class.

She charged right in there.



And Jordan bounced right back into the swing of things.





Isn't it all about balance?



And landing on your feet? (OMG, this dismount had my heart caught in my throat).



My dynamic duo.



Look at this kid. He just kills me.



Afterwards, we came home and I made dinner. Sloppy joes. The kids ate maybe three bites. The best part was Jordan's approach to it. He's still a picky eater, but he's more willing to try things these days. One approach we've worked on is using bread as a vehicle to hide the food. He's managed to eat things like scallops and steak and chicken if he can cut off little pieces and put it in bread. It's my compromise approach, since I refuse to cook two meals. What I eat, they eat.

Jordan decided he wasn't going to eat "sloppy joes." He wanted a "neat" joe. That meant, he took a teeny teaspoon of the meat filling, spread it gently..delicately... on his hamburger bun and covered it with the other half. He carefully ate a few teeny-tiny bites, with not a drop of any filling falling out.

How could it? It was barely visible beneath the bread.

I sighed. I remember so many of these meals when I was home with the kids. I would spend hours cooking meals, only to watch dinnertime unfold like a prolonged torture session from the Guantanamo.

Patience.
Post a Comment