Friday, July 02, 2010

Turtleback Zoo

One of the highlights for me this week was taking a day off work and joining Mina on her field trip to Turtleback Zoo.



"Mommy! I love you!" She said, squeezing my arm as we sat side-by-side on the big, yellow bus. I hope I never forget how amazing that felt. She was so excited to have me there with her.



There were some other excited people too. The parents all reminiced about the last time any of us rode the yellow bus.



Once we arrived, the teachers let us loose. We were free to go where we chose. The only instructions? Meet back by the carousel in time for lunch.



We looked around at some animals, but it didn't take long for Mina to discover what really held her interest.



Yep.



A few more animals later, we discovered the carousel. And someone made herself comfortable.



I love this picture. Mina has the same look on her face that she had when she was three months old and we took her down to the Outer Banks. Can you picture this dreamy, far away look on a three month old? I wondered then what she was thinking of.



After lunch, she discovered the playground.



And the turtle statue. When I asked her later what her favorite animal at the zoo was she paused for a minute. Then she replied, "The carousel."



Oh well. For what it's worth, I loved these guys the best. Anything cute, short and furry, with teeny tiny hands, that can sit on its haunches and sniff around always catches my eye. But it's got to have a cute tail. That, I've discovered, is the difference between a rat and a squirrel. Rats are disgusting and have stringy tails. Squirrels, like prairie dogs, are rounder, furrier, and have fluffy tails. Hence - cute.
Post a Comment