Saturday, October 02, 2010

Bermy. Week one.

It's been a whirlwind of a week for us, but I can finally report that we arrived safely on Bermuda last Friday. Thanks to Jeff's diligent work setting up a cable/internet connection; and my own half-hearted attempt at conversing with the local technician, we now have internet access! Yeah! Here's a recap of what our first week has been like in Bermuda.



Leaving from JFK went smoothly. Although we had a late afternoon flight, due to delays, we didn't actually arrive in Bermuda and get through customs until after 10:00 p.m.



Oscar too. Thank God. He survived the plane ride in one piece. Yes, he does look a little nervous here. We spent the whole week prior getting him crate ready. He loved hopping into that thing because it meant non-stop doggie treats.



Once in our new house, we made ourselves right at home. With no word on when our furniture, clothes, or other household goods will arrive, I'm coming to accept this casual luggage based life-style.



Before we knew it, it was Monday and time to start a new school. Here's Mina in the dreaded uniform. I'll give her credit though, she's taken to it without too much fuss. The hardest thing for her is waking up early, but that's been the case no matter what country she lives in. Lazy little thing.



Jordan in his uniform. He loves this thing. Particularly the socks, which he enjoys pulling up all the way to his thighs. Men in Bermuda basically wear some version of this on any number of occasions, whether it's to the office or out to dinner. They typically add a blazer, and/or tie, to signify that they are big boys and not school children. They also tend to fold the top of the sock cuff over, which then distinguishes the sock from say, leotards. But Jordan, being Jordan, prefers to pull the sock up as far as it will go, so it does in fact look like he is wearing tights.



Notwithstanding the chaos, it's very hard to complain when your afternoons look like this.



Sunset on the deck.


Bliss.



Of course, we have been very busy with the mundane details of Bermudian newbie life, such as bike shopping, getting our learner's permits, passing the road test, and navigating the taxi and bus schedule back and forth to school.



Kids actually do ride on these scooters starting at 16. I've also seen many parents ride young children on the front of the scooter while they steer on the back. I'm reserving judgment on this and will chalk it up to "cultural differences." Keep in mind though I used to work at Family Court, so I've seen parental decision making at its best/worst. Not quite sure where this fits in yet.



Until I pass my road test (Tuesday!!), I've been using a taxi to get the kids to school. But it just galls me how expensive it is, so I've made quick study of the bus routes. It's not so bad actually, and kind of fun. I have definitely met a more authentic slice of life riding the bus back and forth to Hamilton and the marketplace this way. Being a city girl at heart, it comes as massive shock to me how incredibly friendly people have been. Honking here means seeing your neighbor on the street and thus requiring a mandatory tap on the horn, nod of the head and a wave. This general friendliness extends to the bus stop conversation. While I've stood there waiting, grocery bags at my feet with cheese and milk slowly withering, fellow passengers come up and just start chatting. It usually begins with a nod and a "good morning/afternoon" depending on the time. A "how are you?" and a "I can't complain." And from there it's proceeded to people discussing their lunch plans with me, their kids, what they plan on doing this weekend, and loads of questions about who I am and where I'm from. This is very charming. It also takes some getting used to.

But how can you complain with a view like this? Above is the bus stop on North shore Rd at Bailey's Bay.



With very limited cooking supplies and utensils, we've done a fair bit of eating out. After Jeff passed his road test, we celebrated with dinner out at a local pub - the North Rock Brewing Co. Mina expressed the glee I felt at not having to cook using one miniature frying pan and one wooden stirring spoon.



No matter where you are, kids will be kids. We're very excited to be so close to a beach that has a playground on site. Shelly Bay has become a home away from home.



Speaking of home, here's my shout out to the girls on the eve of my departure. I miss you guys a lot; and every time I take the kids to school or the playground and see all the mommies hanging out in tight little groups chatting, I feel just a little bit sad.


Post a Comment