Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Assembly



The note stuck in the school pouch informed me that Jordan's class would soon be putting on an "assembly." The students would be performing a skit; and although they were diligently practicing their lines at school, we should also practice them at home in our spare time. A copy of Jordan's lines were included.

This arrived the day before the February break began. Deep in the midst of packing, I rolled my eyes and stuck the sheet in the "communications" folder I have for all school correspondence. And then I promptly forgot about it.

I did drag it out again after break was over; and broached the subject with Jordan.

"Oh mom..." he whined. "I already KNOW all those lines." He promptly began reciting them in hyperfast chipmunk mode.

Fine.



Yesterday was assembly. I was curious to see 1) what the heck and assembly actually means here; and 2) would Jordan remember his lines?




When I was in grade school, I think we had assemblies. However, they were rarefied events that only involved the students all congregating in the cafeteria where we indoctrinated with lessons relating to fire safety or not talking to strangers. We never congregated to begin the event with a prayer (at least not in public school); nor did we put on productions for our parents at our assemblies. We saved those for drama club.

I guess "assembly" means something different here in BDA. Jordan's class put on a skit involving Joseph and his fabulous coat which he continually grew out of. In the spirit of renew, reuse, and recycle, his crafty grandfather, kept recycling the fabric into ever practical things.

Jordan was a narrator.



He did a wonderful job! And he didn't stumble at all with his lines. I guess he was right. He did already know them. Goes to show you what I know, with all my ridiculous ideas about wanting to practice.

I was very proud of him. While I watched him on stage, I noticed his teacher close by at the bottom of the stage left ready to prompt student with lines if one forgot them. She didn't even look at Jordan. He had his memorized perfectly. Another thing I noticed, that struck me was his timing. There were laughs built into the dialogue, and physical movements characters had to perform prior to him reciting his lines - and he always got the timing right. He watched for the other actors to finish their cues and he waited till there was the right pause in audience reaction before he began speaking. I thought that was fairly sophisticated for a six year old.





Of course, he's always had a bit of the drama queen in him.



It runs in the family.
Post a Comment