Sunday, June 02, 2013

Summer Arrives in Bermuda.

The Bermuda kickoff to summer begins over the May 24th weekend. That's traditionally the first day locals begin summer with a dip in the ocean. The island shuts down (again) and celebrates with a half marathon in the morning, and a parade in the afternoon. Many people hit the beach or bring their boats back out onto the water.

I watched the race in the morning on the sidelines and cheered on the locals. It's a tough race that is only open to Bermudians and residents. You can't enter if you don't live here.  Don't ask.  It's a Bermuda thing.  I haven't run it yet, but it's on my list of things to do before we leave this island.  As a runner, you have to be able to say you've done it at least once.

The parade, which starts in the early afternoon is the highlight for most people. I don't even pretend to understand this. People camp out along the desired street spots the night before. They set up makeshift tents and canopies. I even noticed that some families tape masking tape, marked with their name,  to portions of the sidewalk so it is earmarked for their chairs later.  People bring coolers with food, and they hang out... all day.  I suppose it's like an island wide tail gate party.  Since it seems like everyone on the island knows everyone else, I imagine it must be pretty social.
 

Jeff hates parades. He convinced the kids to go swimming instead. I can't blame him. There's only so many rump shaking majorettes, Gombeys and snow cones I can handle.  Sorry.. I love Bermuda, but "GREAT PARADES!!" are not this island's claim to fame.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say parade attendance might be one of those cultural divides that separate the ex-pats like us and Bermudians.

This weekend was more pool, beach and golf. Jeff likes to go here...
.

The kids stayed with me at the pool. They didn't complain about that either. They're so easy going sometimes.



How could you complain?  They serve chocolate milkshakes at the pool.  Just because they call them "smoothies," which I will just chalk up to a quaint Bermudian translation, doesn't change the fact that it's a big fat scoop or two of ice cream, syrup, milk and sprinklers (yes... they put sprinkles in it). 

Joy!

This looks to be a fun summer.  We have some adventures planned already, and I can't wait to get started!
Post a Comment