Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Walks with Oscar.


Although we have a yard, I prefer to take Oscar for walks in the morning after I drop the kids off to school.

When I say, "Oscar! Car ride!" he perks right up and marches up the stairs to the front door.. usually well ahead of Jordan and Mina. They grumble and moan and suddenly remember a half a dozen things they need to do immediately.

Not Oscar. He can't wait to go.

One of my favorite places to take him is the Botanical Gardens in Paget. The official website doesn't do any justice at to the place, so I'm not bothering to put it up. But the Trip Advisor link shows some of the beauty of the surroundings. This is one of those places you learn to appreciate a little more every time you come there. When I first visited, it just seemed like a big sprawling lawn. I didn't fully appreciate that the acres contained many nooks and crannies and hidden design elements. I still take the kids here for visits to the art museum (located on the grounds) or picnics, or play dates after school when they meet up and swing from the vine trees.

Literally.

One of my favorite spaces is the this spot - the Sensory Garden. Every time I see it, I'm reminded of "The Secret Garden," by Frances Hodgson Burnett, who incidentally, used to own a home in Bermuda. I love the stone gate structure and the pebbled steps. When you enter, the inner perimeter is a bounty of different flowers and plants. If you close your eyes for a moment, you can actually inhale the experience. In the morning, it's nice and quiet. So peaceful.

I adore the little details.

As you can see, Oscar could care less and would prefer I pick up the pace a bit.  What a look!  The Botanical Gardens is a popular spot for dog walkers.  The parks department has made it dog friendly by installing countless dog waste receptacles and trash bags.  Unlike much of Bermuda, where dog walkers leave the waste on the road, people generally pick up after their pets here.
Post a Comment