I can distinctly remember the point in my life when I realized I hated math. It was sixth grade. I hated my 6th grade math teacher, hated the repetitiveness of the math drills, could not focus my attention on the overhead projector where he would insist on doing assignments. I do remember sitting behind this very nice girl, who was part of the super-cool-popular 6th grade crowd. And once she invited me to her birthday party, suddenly I started making all kinds of new friends. Of course that all changed the next year when I went into a new junior high and hit my instant ugly puberty phase. But, I digress.
My hatred of math continued through junior high, high school, college and beyond. I could never explain why I was taking advanced placement and college courses in high school, but failing math. I really hope Jordan isn't cursed with this disability, because it sucks. For one thing, whenever I go out to eat with friends, I have to duck for cover when the bill comes. It's not because I don't want to pay - it's because God forbid someone ask me to calculate how much everyone owes. And sometimes, if I go out in a large group, and we pass the check along and everyone has to chip in what they owe on good faith, I really freak out. Inevitably, I overpay because I can't figure out what the right amount of money should be based on food, beverage, tax and tip.
Par for the course, this weekend, when forced to do homework, Jordan opted for "phonics" first. Like mother like son. I've always been good with words too. It was my saving grace on the SAT's and LSAT's. But for them I'd probably never have gotten into college.
But, eventually, we had to get to the math, and I could feel little peices of my soul start to wither. I felt my brain start to shut down, even as I looked at the simple problems there on the page. Straightforward addition, plus matching the answer to a letter in a code. The letters would make an answer to a silly pun. Double the work, in other words.
We barely got through the first row of sums, when Jordan started balking. I couldn't blame him, I was barely concealing my yawns. But I really wanted Jordan to learn to sit still long enough to do tedious things like math, because hell, that's what he's going to have to do for the next gazillion years while he's in school. The day before, Jordan, Mina and I stumbled on a yard sale in our neighborhood. The kids picked up a kiddie cash register which also doubles as a calculator. I pulled it out for Jordan to do the math sums on, and it worked. For a few pages anyway.
Nothing is ever simple when you have two of them close in age. When Jordan does homework, Mina insists I give her homework too. So, at some point I picked up a kindergarten workbook from Barnes and Noble, and I make her do a few pages each weekend. Believe me, I don't think this is necessary. I'm a big fan of letting kids just play and goof around until they're older and then they can do some homework. Not a lot. Just a bit, to keep them thinking.
But, once Mina finished her homework, she decided I needed some too. Math. Again. I have no clue what the purpose of this assignment was. She wanted me to circle some numbers to signify something. It's a good thing she told me which numbers to circle.
Jeff was busy doing other things. He was fixing the steps to the deck. The steps he put in last year. Oops - turns out the ones he put in last year were indoor steps. Oh well, all have our limitations. Doesn't he look cute with the little work gloves?
After all this hard work, we ventured out later to our town's fair. The perfect opportunity to eat junk food - like blue ice.
Me and my smurfs.
I pigged out too. On Saturday, Jeff and I went into the city for a mini college reunion. Afterwords, we had a late dinner at a restaurant called, "Mad for Chicken." They are known for their Korean chicken wings. OMG. Those wings are so ridiculously good. But they're evil. And each one is worth another pound on the scale. I'm not kidding.
I passed on the wings, thinking I'd get something light - like sushi. Behold. Sushi overload. This is ONE ROLL!?!!?
Dammit!! Sometimes it seems like the universe wants to keep me pudgy.
8 comments:
I loved math till high school.I took advanced math and the teacher couldn't teach it so the 5 of us students struggled through it together.
Math is all about confidence. A math geek once told me that very, very few people are naturally good at math and that for most of us it means a lot of hard work to understand the concepts. If we can get past the shutdown or the frustration we are 75% of the way there. ..Maybe...
I put my kids in Kumon early so that they get the math facts down cold. It is a drill situation but it does give the kids confidence. My 5 year old is adding 3 digit numbers and regrouping. He's flying through math at school. In that sense it's working. I intend to switch my oldest over to teachingtextbooks when he hits 5th grade. It's more geared toward math sense/concepts than hard fact. It is a logical step so for him.
Things that are good for sneaky math; (The cash register is inspired !) Double dice games are great for sneaky addition. Use two dice for chutes and ladders for example. You can play it as subtraction too. Dominoes, we just play them as lining up matching patterns. Card games that involve adding. Recipe following for fraction sense. Restaurant games for waitstaff with checks (you can buy diner checks in Staples). Playful patterns for symmetry, fractions etc.
Don't think he's math-adverse yet. Maybe there are too many problems to solve in his math homework. See how long it is before his concentration wanes. When they are young they need tons of breaks and math is not intuitive.
I'm not a huge believer in school homework for little kids. Our kindergartners don't get homework, just 20 minutes of reading each night. We are in CT, most of the lower grades are pretty light on homework. Unfortunately many schools aren't like that. I know our NY cousins have a TON of homework each evening. They are up till 9pm doing busy work like making George Washington out of a soda can.
Don't get me started on busy work !!! :)
KM - brilliant suggestions!! A friend sends her son to Kumon too, and I'm thinking about it. It might be just what the kids need so they don't wind up as petrified as I am of numbers.
Yes, way too much homework. Totally ridiculous. And definitely too much busy work.
(just the thought of advanced math is sending me into panic mode. I had to repeat Course III in high school, which was completely unheard of in my house. Repeating classes?!? Till that point I was taking extra credit classes in the summer to get ahead. So, failing something was about the equivalent of growing a second head). I know Jordan and Mina can do better than that.
I think most people tend to lean more toward either math or reading. I have the opposite problem from you though. I have always LOVED math, but had to be forced to sit down and read a book! Of course, ironically now I love to read but am too busy chasing toddlers around to sit down and read!
**Oh, and after reading your mofungo post regarding your recent trip to PR, I just wanted to mention that if you happen to live near Teaneck, and are in the mood for some mofungo, there's a great Dominican restaurant there and they have like 10 different kinds of mofungo on their menu! Really bueno stuff! I am partial to the mofungo/crab combo, myself.:-)
Elsa Restaurant
1515 Teaneck Rd
Teaneck
Maria - we're minutes from Teaneck. Bring on the mofungo!!
S
Oops, I forgot to leave you their website in case you wanted to check out the menu.
http://www.lareinadelchicharron.com/
They also have an inexpensive 'all you can eat' brunch on Sundays! I think it was $12 something for adults and $6 something for the kids.
If you end up going, I hope you like it as much as we do!
Math= Yuck. I was never good at it. Don't know what possessed me to torture myself by taking Pre-Calc after enduring Course3 and THEN enroll in S.O.M at Binghamton. Plain stupid is what that is.
I feel for you! Did you know Math was used in medieval times as a means of torture? I hated it too, just couldn't wrap my brain around it. I used to get sick before every Math exam. In 6th grade! But a T.S. Eliot poem? Piece of cake.
Can you dish off the Math homework to hubby? That's my evil plan when the time comes. "Math night with Daddy" has such a nice ring to it. It's bonding, after all.
Regarding the restaurant bill...there's an app for that!
--Rani
Post a Comment