Tuesday, October 09, 2007

School update.






I kept the Monkey out of school today again because it looks like he's managed to come down with yet another bug. He had some diaper issues this morning, which are probably related to the antibiotics he's been on from his last bug, but later, he developed a fever as well. I can't quite tell where one illness ended and another began. All I know is he was home. I'll be keeping home tomorrow to monitor the fever. If it doesn't break, we get to go visit the doctor again.

But on a positive note, I feel a little more reassured about J's school situation. Tonight, his teacher called me at home. It was late in the evening, and I could hear her own young child in the background. Despite the fact that he was yelling for attention, she remained on the phone with me for a good half hour, talking about Jordan. She asked a lot of questions, I answered them as best I could. This is the second time she's called me at home to talk about Jordan, and I am still impressed that a teacher takes the time to do this.

I like her. She's not the enemy. She's trying to make school a positive experience for Jordan. She spends more time with other kids every day than she gets to spend with her own, and she wouldn't do that unless she cared about her job. I respect her for that.

We're going to see how things go in class. We're both going to keep working on it, and give the situation time to play itself out. In November, we'll have our first official parent teacher conference and evaluate where we are.

On an unrelated note, I'm watching a show that makes me feel really much calmer about my own life. Any other parents out there needing the same, should check it out. It's about a couple with eight kids - a set of twins, and a set of sextuplets.

Whew.
Post a Comment