Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thanksgiving planning

Before things get too crazy, I thought I'd throw this out there. We'll be hosting Thanksgiving this year with a handful of friends. While we work out the logistics of space, I'm testing out some new recipes for the menu. My plan is to make the turkey, stuffing, one side and a dessert, and request two sides or dessert from the guests coming. When entertaining, I like to mix things up with both tried-and-true as well as a few experiments. After all, what are friends for if not to be your culinary guinea pigs?

So far, this is what I'm thinking:

appetizers:

baked brie with nut glaze and crackers (done before, simple, good)
white bean dip (done before, simple and good)

Main:

Heritage turkey, brined (brined before, fool-proof, testing out a new brine this year)

sides:

Paula Deen old fashioned country stuffing (tested this week, very good. will adjust seasonings for more depth.)



mushroom giblet gravy (new - untested)

Suvir Surain jalepeno skillet cornbread (made many times - delish)



creamed spinach and parsnips, Food and Wine recipe (made many times, sleeper hit of every occasion)



something cranberry (Wayne's Cranberry Sauce is a favorite, made several times)

something potato (loved the garlic mashed potatoes I made one year that kept in a crock pot during buffet - excellent)
maybe something else green - green bean casserole? (I never make these, but I thought I'd go traditional this year)

dessert:

southern comfort apple pie (tried - wow, so good!)



turkey cupcakes (Family fun recipe, untested but looks cute)



What's on your menu? How many are you hosting? Any last minute entertaining tips? Particularly for large groups of mixed-age kids?
Post a Comment