Thursday, June 25, 2009

And the roads always lay west.

Heading to Colorado tomorrow - solo! I'm going to visit my brother, Osman and my sister-in-law, Dallice. Just a weekend trip, but I've been looking forward to it for years in the making. I was trying to think of the last time I've seen the both of them together. It's been too long.

I've never been out there before. This shall be a adventure.

The kids shall be well cared for by Monkey, Sr. and Grandma H. When I told them I'd be going away tomorrow, they reacted as follows:

Mina - "I'm going on a trip with you too, Mama. I go with you."

Jordan - "Dad is going to stay to keep an eye on us, right?"

Not sure what to make of that. I was so giddy with excitement today as I thought about a weekend off, I almost forgot something. As I put Jordan to bed tonight, and sang yet another chorus of "My Baby," I looked down at him and felt this wave of yearning. To hug him, to give him a kiss, to brush that piece of hair out of his eyes. Of course I'm going to miss them.





How could I not? They are diabolitos, but they're all mine.



Jordan's art is getting ever-more interesting. Today they did some "I" penmanship. Take a look at how he illustrated the letter "I."

"I" is for Ipod.

Oh, Brave New World.

While Jordan busied himself in the classroom, I worked my own magic in the kitchen. Temps hit the high 80's today and our kitchen was a humid, muggy mess. Don't you HATE cooking in the summer? Just the thought of it makes me want to pull out my sushi menu and pick up the phone. I need to put Daruma on the speed dial already so I can stop reaching up on the high shelf for the take-out menu file.

But, thanks to the beauty of Costco, dinner was just a few minutes away.



Spinach and Mozzarella ravioli.



Tossed in some of this, steamed.



With some marinated artichoke hearts, some roasted red pepper, and some parmigiana-reggiano cheese, it became this.

And this is why, among other reasons, why I love running. For weeks now, despite erratic eating patterns, my weight has managed to stay stable. A few runs a week, throw in some hills and some sweat, and I can eat a bowl of this without feeling too guilty. July 4th is the "big" race, and after that, I need to find something new to train for or this spot on the couch is going to become even deeper.

On the topic of running, I'm so into this book - "Born to Run." It's about this tribe of indigenous Mexicans living in the Copper Canyons who've perfected the art of ultramarathons. Don't know what that is? I didn't either till I started reading. Think NYC Marathon doubled, add some more miles, some heat, night, trails, and a crazy sense of pushing your body beyond known human limits - and there ya go.

These people are crazy, but it's an amazing read.

Well, we all have our own hobbies. Jordan and Mina have rediscovered the building block set (it had to be removed for awhile.) And they've taken to creating fantastic little stories of their own, using the blocks as props and toys as characters.



Here, Cinderella and Snow White are taking a nap/having a sleepover. Cinderella got the "big bed" and Snow White got the "trundle bed."



Not to be outdone, Jordan created the same for his spacemen. Only he went one better -



He designed an escape ladder so the astronauts on top could get off without disturbing the ones below.

Those astronauts, by the way, are cake topper decorations I used for Jordan's 3rd birthday party. I can never throw anything away.

Post a Comment