Sunday, September 13, 2009

Run, Forrest, Run!



Today, I completed my second 5k race of the year - the Susan Komen Race for the Cure in Central Park. Thanks to the incredible donations I received, I surpassed the goal I set for myself. It felt great doing something to benefit others while doing something I love so much.



Ok, it's weird to say you love running. I know. I find myself wondering how I can say something like that. I'm not a runner by nature. I've been athletic my whole life, played sports of all kinds. But I've never been a runner. The closest I came to running was playing rugby in college, where we were forced to run for countless hours every day in practice and during games, and the whole thing was only made more tolerable by the endless pints of beer drunk after. Shoot the boot, girl!



But, there's something very different involved in running over the course of miles. When the only challenge is finishing - something odd happens.



You discover a strange place inside yourself you forgot about.



Of course, I feel the need to drag my kids out to the races too, so they can see another side of mom.



I hope they'll be inspired to race after their own dreams too.



Because deep inside, we're all runners. Each of us has a marathon waiting to happen.
Post a Comment