Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas catch-up.

Our first Bermudian Christmas was a bit of a disappointment, unfortunately. While we enjoyed the presents and extra-special parcels from family abroad, both kids were too sick to actually enjoy the day itself. Both of them managed to pick up a nasty stomach virus, which was the gift that kept giving.

All week long.

In between throwing up and trips to the bathroom, the kids tried to rouse themselves long enough to open some presents.



Poor Bean. She was trying so hard to look excited, but I think the look on her face here just says it all.



Jordan caught the bug too, but oddly enough, he didn't seem to be in as bad shape as Mina was. Granted, he had his share of barfing episodes, but he bounced back quicker than Mina did. I'm always amazed by that, given the immunosuppressants he takes for his heart. There are times when he even avoids getting sick at all.



Present-opening wore them both out very quickly. Mina on her beloved pillow pet. I managed to snag the last purple unicorn in the store.



Jordan made it to the couch and remained there for most of the day.



The next day, he perked up enough to play with his wonder wand. I saw this toy advertised on tv once, and was pretty psyched to see them here in Bermuda at the "Dollar Store." Don't be fooled by the name of the store though. I can assure you, there is nothing in there that is a dollar. I think something got lost in translation with that one.



Taking pictures of him with the wonder wand was a fun experiment. A year later, I am STILL trying to understand all the different features of my camera and how to move beyond the basic point and shoot of the auto mode. I've been reading up online with various Nikon D90 photo blogs, but if anyone has a site they recommend, please pass it along. Here, I'm playing with the focus mode in auto and continuous. With kids, they recommend continuous because of the rapid shifts in movement they make.



Jeff liked the toy too.



Finally, today, the kids seemed back to normal. Just about a week later, I'd say. We made it to the park this morning and are planning a movie in the afternoon. Hopefully, we can avoid too many illnesses in the future. This one was a doozy.

New Year's Eve plans this year included a surprise invite today to a party that includes the kids. This is a rare treat. I honestly can't remember the last time we went out for New Year's. I suspect the kids won't make it till midnight. I'm sure Jordan will grace us with some memorable line in the middle of the party, such as "Why am I still awake?" Or, "What are you all STILL doing here?" But we'll give it a shot and see what happens. We're just crazy adventurous like that.

Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2011 brings you all health, happiness and good luck!
Post a Comment